John FERRIER 1840-1919
Alice Jane HANLON c1851-1920
Perthshire, Scotland ; Beerik Parish, Carapook - Coleraine, S-W Victoria, Australia
John FERRIER, b. 1840 Perthshire, Scotland, son of John FERRIER and Mary MIDDLEMISS was married in 1872 at Bessiebelle, Victoria to Alice Jane HANLON, b. 1851, Co Kildare, Ireland, daughter of James HANLON and Elizabeth SUTTON.
John FERRIER, farmer in the Parish of Beerik, east of Carapook was one of the signatures to the 1875 petition aimed at establishing a new school at Carapook.
John FERRIER died at Portland, Victoria in 1919 and his wife Alice died at Portland in 1920.
John FERRIER and Alice Jane HANLON had the following children:
- James William Hanlon FERRIER b. 1873, Coleraine, Vic, d. 1932, m. Elizabeth Ann McKAY 1887-1962.
- John Middlemiss FERRIER b. 1874, Coleraine, Vic, d. 1955, m. Euphemia Catharine ROSS 1880-1971.
- Peter David FERRIER b. 1876, Coleraine, Vic, d. 1938, m. Christina Miriam McNICOL 1881-1957.
- Sutton Henry "Sid" FERRIER b. 1877, Carapook, Vic, d. 9 Sep 1915, "at sea" Gallipoli, Turkey.
- attended school at Carapook, Casterton & Portland
- enlisted 12 Dec 1914
- WW1, served as Cpl 176, 10th Light Horse Regiment, AIF
- Sid FERRIER was wounded when fighting alongside Lt Hugo THROSSELL in a trench on Hill 60 at ANZAC. Hugo THROSSELL was awarded a VC for his part in this action. Sid died 9 Sep 1915 on a hospital ship on his way to England after being evacuated from ANZAC.
- Named on Carapook Honour Roll
- Named on Casterton War Memorial
- Elizabeth Maria Beatrice FERRIER b. 1880, Coleraine d. 1970
- WW1 enlisted 18 May 1915 in Australian Army Nursing Service
- WW1 served with 3rd Australian General Hospital
- RTA 1 Mar 1919
- Alicia Jane FERRIER b. 1882, Coleraine, Vic, d. 1976, m. ___ THOMAS
- Oliver Douglas FERRIER b. 1884, Coleraine, Vic, d. 1974, m. Catherine McINTYRE 1891-1975.
- Wilhelmina Esther FERRIER b. 1886, Harrow, d. 1982, m. Hugh Munro CAMPBELL 1882-1954
- Mary Middlemiss FERRIER b. 1888, Casterton, Vic, d. 1984, m. James NORRIS
- Roy Anthony Decimal FERRIER b. 1891, Casterton, Vic, d. 1984.
- WW1 enlisted 23 Jun 1915, Farmer of Deniliquin, NSW.
- WW1 served as Pte 1209, 4th Light Horse Regiment & Cyclist Battalion, AIF
- RTA 27 Apr 1919
- Named on Wando Vale SS 3397 WW1 Honour Roll
- Ivy Adrian Hope FERRIER b. 1892, Casterton, Vic, d. 1982, m. Francis Henry GOUGH 1877-1955.