John MENZIES 1846-1916
Elizabeth Maud LOWE 1852-1939
Isle of Mull, Scotland ; Guernsey, Channel Iislands ; Carapook, Victoria ; Mount Gambier, South Australia
John MENZIES 1846-1916, born Tobermory, Isle of Mull, Scotland, son of Duncan MENZIES and Margaret McCULLOGH, arrived in 1852 at Portland, S-W Victoria, Australia on the ship "Marmion" along with his parents and 9 siblings. By 1859 the MENZIES family was residing at (or near) Casterton, S-W Victoria.
John MENZIES was married in 1870 at Casterton, Victoria, Australia Elizabeth Maude LOWE 1852-1939, daughter of George LOWE and Mary Harriet Lewis MARSHALL from Guernsey, Channel Islands.
John MENZIES, a blacksmith of Carapook, was one of the signatures to the 1875 petition aimed at establishing a new school at Carapook. From the births of children it would appear this family moved from Carapook, Victoria to near Mount Gambier in South Australia in the 1880s.
John MENZIES died at Mount Gambier, SA in 1916 and his widow Elizabeth died there in 1939 and both are buried in the Lake Terrace Cemetery, Mount Gambier, SA.
Another Carapook family of this period was that of Hugh WOODALL and his wife Scotia MENZIES, who was a sister of John MENZIES.
John MENZIES and Elizabeth Maude LOWE had the following children:
- Duncan Herbert MENZIES 1871-1957, b. Alendale East, SA; d. 1957, Mount Gambier, SA; m. 1894 to Alice Evangeline HUTCHESSON 1870-1953.
- George MENZIES 1872-1928, b. Casterton, Victoria; d. New Zealand; m. 1916 New Zealand to Helen Margaret CUFF
- Margaret MENZIES 1874-1938, b. Casterton, Victoria, Australia; d. Adelaide, SA.
- John Alexander MENZIES 1875-1954, b. Bruk Bruk (Carapook), Victoria; d. Mount Gambier, SA; m.1 1907, Mount Gambier, SA to Mary Ellen BEST 1883-1922; m.2 Olive Elizabeth BATES 1885-?
- Donald MENZIES 1877-1926, b. Casterton, Victoria; d. Mount Gambier, SA; m. 1911, South Australia to Charlotte May NORTHEN 1891-1969.
- Archibald MENZIES 1879-1938, b. "Pieracle" station, near Casterton, Victoria; m. 1919, SA to Mary Elizabeth NORTHEN 1893-1971.
- WW1 1st AIF, Dvr 1581, 9th Light Horse Regiment
- enlisted 15th Sep 1915
- served in Middle East (Egypt, Syria, Beirut)
- RTA 16th Mar 1919
- Elizabeth Maud MENZIES 1882-?, b. Casterton, Victoria; m. 1912, Mount Gambier, SA to Charles Henry ASHLEY 1869-1942; m.2 ?
- Kate MENZIES 1885-1971, b. Mount Gambier; d. Adelaide, SA; m. 1905, Mount Gambier, SA to Thomas KEEGAN 1884-1936.
- William Edward MENZIES 1887-1970, b. Yahl, Mount Gambier, SA; d. Adelaide, SA; m. 1916, Mount Gambier, SA to Sarah Margaret BRUCE 1891-?
- Ernest MENZIES 1889-1929, b. Yahl, Mount Gambier, SA; d. Mount Gambier, SA.
- Glen Hector MENZIES 1893-1974, b. Yahl, Mount Gambier, SA; d. ..?..; m. 1917, Mount Gambier, SA to Laura Blanche HASTINGS 1896-1975.
- Gertrude MENZIES 1896-1940, b. Mount Gambier, SA; d. Mount Gambier, SA; m. 1927, Mount Gambier, SA to Frederick Albert Edward CHANT 1902-1959.