John McINTYRE (1817-1888)
Mary McKAY (1823-1923)
Isle of Skye, Scotland; Portland, Kaladbro, Bahgallah & Casterton, S-W Victoria, Australia
John McINTYRE c.1843-1920
Glenelg Shire President, Councillor, Butcher & Farmer
John McINTYRE was born in 1843, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, Scotland, son of John McINTYRE and Mary McKAY. John along with his parents and 3 siblings [Murdock (8), William (5) & Mary (3)] emigrated from Scotland to Australia and arrived at Portland Bay, Victoria on the "New Zealander" in November 1853.
John, who remained single, operated a Butcher shop in Henty Street, Casterton and was a Glenelg Shire Councillor for almost 50 years including a number of terms as Shire President. John McINTYRE, was the eldest child in the family of...
John McINTYRE (1817-1888) & Mary McKAY (1823-1923) were both born on the Isle of Skye, Scotland and married there in 1842. John McINTYRE was a son of Duncan and Mary McINTYRE and Mary McKAY was a daughter of Murdoch McKAY and Christina NICHOLSON. After arriving at Portland on the "New Zealander" in 1853 the family were employed at "Kaladbro" station near the South Australian border. John McINTYRE selected land on the "Springbank" estate, Bahgallah, near Casterton in the 1860s. John died at Bahgallah in 1888 and his widow Mary died, aged 99y, at Casterton in 1923. They are both buried in the Casterton new cemetery.
John McINTYRE & Mary McKAY had the following known family:
- John McINTYRE c.1843-1920, b. Isle of Skye, Scotland, single, butcher, farmer of Bahgallah, shire councillor, d. Casterton, S-W Victoria.
- Murdoch McINTYRE 1846-1932, b. Isle of Skye, Scotland, d. Casterton, S-W Victoria. m. Mary JELLY 1852-1938, b. Lancashire, England, daughter of George JELLY and Jane SHAW, d. Bahgallah, S-W Victoria.
- William John McINTYRE c.1847-1893, b. Isle of Skye, Scotland, d. Mount Gambier, South Australia, m. Mary Ann REID 1854-1944 daughter of James REID and Mary LARKIN.
- Mary McINTYRE 1850-1942, b. Isle of Skye, Scotland, d. Sydney, NSW, m. Joseph CURRANS 1837-1921, son of Joseph CURRANS and Rachael LUTTON of Co Down, Ireland.
- Alexander McINTYRE 1853-1943, b. 1853, Portland, S-W Victoria, d. Melbourne, Victoria, m. Sarah MURPHY 1861-1950 daughter of James MURPHY and Margaret OLIVER. Sarah signed [S. McINTYRE] the 1891 Women's Suffrage Petition at Casterton.
- Christina McINTYRE 1856-1879, b. Portland, S-W Victoria, d. Narrandera, NSW, m. Herbert LANDER 1851-1933, son of Edward LANDER and Mary Ann SIMPSON.
- Janet McINTYRE 1858-1948, b. "Kaladbro", S-W Victoria, d. Horsham, Victoria, m. Thomas SHEARWOOD 1854-1927, son of Thomas SHEARWOOD and Ann GARNETT.
- Duncan McINTYRE 1862-1944, b. ____, S-W Victoria, d. Casterton, S-W Victoria. m. Eliza Jane DAVIS 1873-1905, daughter of Thomas DAVIS and Harriette JONES.
- Annabella McINTYRE 1864-1949, b. Dartmoor, S-W Victoria, d. Melbourne, Victoria, m. William JELLY 1861-1909, b. Casterton, S-W Victoria to George JELLY and Jane SHAW, d. Casterton, S-W Victoria.
- Dugald John McINTYRE 1867-1950, b. Bahgallah, S-W Victoria, d. Melbourne, Victoria, m. Anne Frances Johnson HEATH 1877-1957, daughter of Ausgustus Herbert Charles HEATH and Margaret PETERS.
- Donald McKay McINTYRE 1871-1915, b. Bahgallah, S-W Victoria, d. Hamilton, S-W Victoria, m. Catherine Ann "Kate" FINLAYSON 1869-1957, daughter of Alexander FINLAYSON and Isabella McKAY.