Old Casterton Railway Station
Links to Local History & Pioneer Names
Casterton Area External Links
8 September 2014
-- Daryl Povey --
Casterton Community Museum Opening Times:
- Casterton Visitor Information Centre, Shiels Terrace, Casterton – opening times 9am to 5pm 7 days a week.
Contact 55 812070 to make enquires about accessing the Casterton Community Museum - Research and Family History section.
- Casterton Community Museum located at the Railway Station building in Jackson St, open by appointment. Contact 55 812070 for further details.
- Both sections of the Casterton Community Museum are CLOSED from the 24th December to the 1st February.
- The Casterton Community Museum has obtained Donor Gift Recipient endorsement by the Australian Taxation Office. If you would like to make a donation to the Museum, all donations over $2.00 are tax deductible. All donations go towards the conservation and preservation of the Museum Collection.
Casterton & District Historical Society:
Henty Street, Casterton (pre 1920)
Office Bearers 2014-2015:
- President - Evelyn Pevitt
- Vice President - Noel Norris
- Junior Vice President - Sandra White
- Secretary & Archivist - Ros Coventry
- Treasurer - David Coventry
Casterton & District Historical Society
2014 Calendar of Events
- October 15th (Wednesday) - Meeting, 2.00 p.m., Casterton RSL
- September 17th - Visit to Murndal near Merino-Hamilton.
If not done so, please register your interest.
Advise by phone or email if you are attending - we need to have an exact number of visitors, the number being limited.
Evelyn tel 5581 1206 or David tel 5581 2475
- August, 20th (Wednesday) - Annual General Meeting, 2.00 p.m., Albion Hotel, Henty-street, Casterton.
DUNROBIN HALL CENTENARY
Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th August 2014
- June, 18th (Wednesday) - 2.30 p.m., at RSL Hall, Casterton.
This is a special meeting. We don’t usually have one in June but this time we will have one, in the wake of the Kelpie Festival.
- May, 21st (Wednesday) - 2.30 p.m., at RSL Hall, Casterton.
Following the meeting we will meet and select costumes at Trish and Gary Williams’ home on Shiels Tce.
The Kelpie Parade float: the theme is McKinlay's Glenelg Inn / Adelaide Crossing, as part of our celebrations to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of CDHS.
We want to make ours the Best Float in 2014. All input and creative ideas welcome. There are many characters--squatters, swaggies, surveyors, workers, inn patrons, bushrangers and settlers' children. Costumes can be provided or you can make or use your own.
- April, 16th (Wednesday) - 2.30 p.m., at RSL Hall, Casterton. Please bring a small plate to share. We will have our usual business meeting and welcome visitors from Coleraine Historical Society. Graeme Wallis will talk about their society.
1.30 p.m. Special Meeting. Members will meet before the General Meeting to discuss our Kelpie Parade float, the theme of which is McKinlay’s Glenelg Inn / Adelaide Crossing, part of our celebrations to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of CDHS. To be involved in the parade, please be there. Help make it the Best Float for 2014. All input and creative ideas welcome. There are many characters -squatters, swaggies, surveyors, workers, inn patrons and children. Costumes can be provided or you can make or use your own.
- March, 19th (Wednesday) - 6.30 p.m., at VIC BBQ area. Please bring a plate to share, meat and some drinks provided. PS: Bring your own chair for comfort. We hope to have some guests from the Coleraine Historical Society and to learn about their organisation.
- February, 19th (Wednesday) - Meet at the Casterton Old Cemetery at 10a.m. We
will take stock of what needs to be done before the unveiling of the new name board. Volunteer workers will be needed to help clean up the area.
Meetings where there is a guest speaker or activity, no business will be dealt with unless advertised.
|Jim Kent's Book (Vol. 2)
Roamin' 'Round the Town: Volume 2 will be launched on
Saturday, 30th November, 2013 at Casterton Town Hall at 11am.
Copies will be available at the Visitor Information Centre: cost is $25.
Get in quick for an ideal Christmas gift.
Price $25.00 plus $5.00 postage & packaging.
Secretary : Casterton & District Historical Sociey
P.O. Box 48, Casterton, Vic 3350, Australia
|Jim Kent's Book (Vol. 1) [100 pages, A4 size]
Historical Happenings of Casterton and District as told by James P Kent.
---NO LONGER AVAILABLE---