Francis EGAN (1824-1874) & Mary ROGERS (1826-1912)
"Greenwald Station" near Hotspur, Dartmoor & Digby, South-West Victoria, Australia
son of John EGAN & Annie McNAMARA from Co Clare, Ireland
John EGAN & Annie McNAMARA from Co Clare, Ireland had the following known family...
- Lawrence Mack EGAN b. c1804, Co Clare, Ireland, d. 1891 near Penola, South Australia, m. Ann HARDY c1814-1872;
- Margaret EGAN b. c1807, Co Clare, Ireland, m. James SEXTON [son Thomas SEXTON lived at "Greenwald Station" near Dartmoor in the 1860s];
- Bridget EGAN b. c1809, Co Clare, Ireland;
- John Thompson EGAN b. c1811, Co Clare, Ireland, m1 Catherine BECKLEY, m2 Dinah Squire ROWE;
- Michael EGAN b. c1813, Co Clare, Ireland, m. Bridget CORCORAN;
- Catherine EGAN b. c1819, Co Clare, Ireland, m Henry THOMASSON;
- Mary Jane EGAN b. c1823, Co Clare, Ireland, m. Thomas Beardsworth CROMPTON;
- Francis EGAN b. 1824 Co Clare, Ireland (son of John EGAN & Annie McNAMARA) married by Rev. Dr. RUSSELL in 1850 at an Inn at Emu Creek (now Digby), Port Phillip District to Mary ROGERS b. 1826 Hobart Town, VDL, daughter of William ROGERS and Sarah CRAIG.
Francis EGAN arrived in Adelaide, South Australia in the 1840s. He had farming interests at Merino & Coleraine in S-W Victoria in the 1850s, went gold mining and also managed a station near Bordertown on the SA-VIC border.
In 1859 Francis & Mary EGAN leased "Greenwald Station", Victoria, near Dartmoor from Richard LEWIS of "Rifle Downs" near Digby and established themselves in this locality.
Their last child Margaret was born at "Greenwald Station", died at the station aged 1 month and was buried on "Greenwald Station" in June 1871.
A short while later, Sarah ROGERS (nee CRAIG), aged 90 years and mother of Mary ROGERS the wife of Francis EGAN also died at "Greenwald Station" im July 1871 and she was buried in the Digby Cemetery.
Francis EGAN contacted typhoid fever while on a trip to Melbourne in 1874 and died at his brother's residence in Richmond in June 1874 and was buried in the Borooondara cemetery.
Francis EGAN & Mary ROGERS had the following family...
- Sarah EGAN b. 1852, d. 1943, Portland, Vic.;
- John Herbert EGAN b. 1854 Merino, Vic, d. 1936, Heywood, Vic, m. Mary Ann Elizabeth McKEE 1856-1936.
- Ann Louisa McNamara EGAN b. 1856, Coleraine, Vic, d. 1938, Portland, Vic, m. Robert Henry McKEE 1858-1931.
- Francis Michael EGAN b, 1858, "Mount Koroite Station" Coleraine, Vic, d. 1939, Portland, Vic.;
- Laurence EGAN b. 1860, Digby, Vic, d. 1947, Portland, Vic.;
- William EGAN b. 1862, Digby, Vic, d. 1933, Portland, Vic, m. Margareta Ross SINCOCK from Hampshire 1860-1940.
- Mary Louisa EGAN b. 1864, Merino, Vic d. 1893, Hamilton, Vic.
- Henry Thomas Alexander EGAN b. 1869, Merino, Vic, d. 1890, Dartmoor, Vic.
- Margaret EGAN b. 1871, d. 1871, aged 1 month at "Greenwald Station", Vic and was buried on "Greenwald Station".