James Ewen "Hugh" McLEAN 1836-1918
Frances SMITH c.1839-1910
Glasgow, Scotland ; Yorkshire, England ; Portland, Digby and Hotspur, Victoria, Australia
James Ewen "Hugh" McLEAN 1836-1918, b. Glasgow, Scotland, son of Donald McLEAN and Catherine BEATON married in 1857 at Portland, Victoria to Frances SMITH b. 1837 Leeds, England, daughter of Jonas SMITH and Ann WHITTAKER.
Donald McLEAN, aged 52, a settler of Emu Creek (Digby) died in 1849. This is very likely to be Donald McLEAN father of James Ewan "Hugh" McLEAN who was having a number of children at Digby, Victoria.
James Ewan "Hugh" McLEAN and Frances SMITH had the following known children:
- Ann McLEAN b. 1860 Digby, Vic, d. 1932, Casterton, Vic., m. George Frederick SPURRELL 1859-1932;
- Catherine McLEAN 1862-1936, b. Portland, Victoria, d. Casterton, Victoria, m. William SMITH 1856-1942;
- Euphemia McLEAN 1864-1919, b. Portland, Victoria, d. Naracoorte, South Australia, m. James Tharme ASTBURY 1855-1921;
- Margaret McLEAN 1866-1867, b. and d. 1866 Portland, Victoria.
- Frances Flora "Fanny" McLEAN 1868-1928, b. Portland, Victoria, d. Casterton, Victoria, m. Charles SMITH 1868-1927;
- Rev. Donald Finlay McLEAN 1873-1937, b. Hotspur, Victoria; Baptist and Methodist Minister; Author; WW1 served as a Chaplain to AIF Forces; d. Melbourne, Victoria, m.1 1906 Fremantle, Western Australia to Ethel Myrie RAY 1885-1926 b. Melbourne, Victoria to William Robert RAY and Susan Eleanor BARKER; 3 children; d. London, England; m.2 1930 Victoria to Edith Isabell MOSELEY (formerly WHITE) 1888-1944, b. Melbourne Victoria to Edward John WHITE and Isabella Ann Weber COLLARD; d. Melbourne, Victoria.
- Mary Margaret "May" McLEAN 1876-1956, b. Digby, Victoria, d. Warrnambool, Victoria, m. 1915 to Ludwig GRIES c.1866-1948.