Andrew BOYD 1823-1865
Ann NOBLE 1823-1906
Co Monaghan & Co Fermanagh, Ireland & Merino, S-W Victoria, Australia
Andrew BOYD b. 1823, Co Monaghan, Ireland, son of Alexander BOYD and ____ was married in 1847 at Temple, Ireland to Ann NOBLE, b. 1823, Co Fermanagh, Ireland, daughter of ___ and ___.
Andrew and Ann BOYD emigrated and arrived with two children on the "Runnymede" in June 1852 at Portland, S-W Victoria, Australia. They had another six children at or near Merino in S-W Victoria up until 1863.
Andrew BOYD died in 1865 after falling from his horse and left a widow and eight children and this tragedy was summarised in his obituary....
DIGBY. (From our own Correspondent.) February 2nd, 1865.
A very lamentable accident occurred on Friday evening last, by which an unfortunate man, named Andrew Boyd, lost his life ; it appears that Boyd was on the previous Wednesday, sentenced to one month's imprisonment for creating a disturbance near the Court House, but in consequence of additional evidence of an exculpatory nature being adduced the magistrates remitted the sentence and Boyd was released at Heywood, when en route for Portland ; on his return to Digby being overjoyed at his escape he indulged too freely in spirits and became some what intoxicated ere he continued his journey to Merino, where he resided ; all went well till he came to the 45th mile post, when his horse becoming restive threw off Boyd, and so seriously injured him that be never regained consciousness but died in a few hours afterwards. An inquest was held at Merino on Saturday, before Mr. Coroner Radford and a jury, when a verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned. Boyd has left a wife and eight children almost totally unprovided for ; and it is worthy of record that some benevolent individual whose name I have been unable to learn, sent the widow a bag of flour as an earnest of his sympathy an act of Christian kindness which it is to be hoped will be followed by many others.
"Portland Guardian and Normanby General Advertiser" (Vic.) Monday, 6th February 1865.
Andrew BOYD & Ann NOBLE had the following family...
- James BOYD, b. 1849, Ireland, , d. 1939, Casterton, S-W Vic., m. 1875 to Elizabeth DILLON ~1852-1876. They had one child before Elizabeth died in 1876.
- Elizabeth Margaret BOYD, b. 1876, Merino, S-W Vic., d. ........., m. 1911 to Samuel Stephen JENKINS 1874- ?...............
- Anna Jane BOYD, b. ~1850, Ireland, d. 1936, NSW, m. 1871, William HICKS 1838-1906. They had a large family and moved to NSW after 1893.
- Alexander BOYD, b. 1852, ___, S-W Vic, d. 1934, Merino, S-W Victoria.
- William Thomas BOYD, b. 1854, ___, S-W Vic, d. 1941, Casterton, S-W Victoria.
- Ellen BOYD, b. 1856, Merino, S-W Vic, d. 1919, Hamilton, S-W Victoria (unmarried).
- John "Jack" BOYD, b. 1858, Merino, S-W Vic, d. 1942, Wentworth, Darling River, NSW (sheep farmer).
- Andrew BOYD, b. 1860, Merino, S-W Vic, d. 1934, Merino, S-W Vic., m. 1883 to Elizabeth Mary "Bessie" BUCKLE 1864-1954. (6 children)
- William Thomas BOYD, b. 1883, Merino, S-W Vic., d. 1947, New Zealand, m. to Dinah Mary McLENNIGHAN.
- Ruby Elizabeth BOYD, b. 1884, Merino, S-W Vic., d. 1928, hamilton, S-W Vic., m. to Albert MARSHALL 1880-1962.
- Alexander George BOYD, b. 1886, Merino, S-W Vic., d. 1949, Casterton, S-W Vic., m. to Harriett HARWOOD 1890-1972.
- Ellen May BOYD, b. 1889, Merino, S-W Vic., d. 1982, Merino S-W Vic., m. to Pierce John Percy" HAYES 1889-1958.
- Annie BOYD, b. 1893, Strathdownie, S-W Vic., d. 1976, Portland, S-W Vic., m. to Charles Thomas NEWTON 1896-1977.
- Andrew Lindsay BOYD, b. 1900, Merino, S-W Vic., d. 1955, Merino, S-W Vic., m. to Daisy May ROGERS 1902-1985.
- Mary BOYD, b. 1863, Merino, S-W Vic, d. 1938, Casterton, S-W Victoria (unmarried).