William Henry DAVIES 1865-1941
Martha Amelia SEMMLER 1877-1952
Native Valley & Barossa Valley, South Australia; Henty & Sandford, S-W Victoria, Australia
Joseph DAVIES b. c.1817, Merthyr, Carmarthenshire, Wales son of Joseph DAVIES & ____ was married in 1852 at Rhymney, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire (Mon), Wales to Mary Ann FOXALL, b. 1825, Tredegar, Monmouthshire, Wales daughter of Benjamin FOXALL & Ann ____.
Joseph & Mary Ann DAVIES along with two young daughters arrived at Adelaide, SA on the "Duchess of Northumberland" in 1856. Within 2 years both daughters had died at Native Valley, near Nairne, South Australia, but another daughter Margaret who survived had been born in 1857.
Joseph & Mary Ann went on to run "The Wine Shanty" at Native Valley, on the main road to the copper mines in the Kanmantoo area.
Joseph DAVIES died at Native Valley in 1880 and his widow Mary Ann (nee FOXALL) died in 1899 and they are both buried in the Nairne Cemetery.
Joseph DAVIES & Mary Ann FOXALL had the following family...
- Sarah Ann DAVIES, b. 1853, Wales, d. 1858, Native Valley, nr Nairne, SA.
- Eliza Jane DAVIES, b. 1855, Wales, d. 1858, Valleys, nr Nairne, SA.
- Margaret Ellen DAVIES, b. 1857, Native Valley, SA, d. 1936, Adelaide, SA, m. Charles James ESSEX 1850-1931 and they had the following family in South Australia...
- Alfred Charles ESSEX, b. 1879, Native Valley, SA, d. 1921, Adelaide, SA.
- Eliza ESSEX, b. 1881, Nairne East, SA, d. 1957, Floreat Park, WA, m1. Francis Kingsford THORPE 1877-1914; m2. Albert Edward KIKHAM 1892-1947
- Caroline "Carrie" Violet ESSEX, b. 1882, Nairne East, SA, d. 1908, Millicent, SA, m. William Cook McMORRON 1877-1965
- Joseph ESSEX, b. 1885, Nairne East, SA, d. 1959, m. Jessie Elizabeth Jubiletta GALLOWAY 1887-?
- Alice Maria ESSEX, b. 1887, d. 1888, Nairne East, SA
- Ada Ellen ESSEX, b. 1896, Adelaide, SA, d. 1978, Adelaide, SA, m. William Thomas Alexander HOLFORD 1889-1978
- Benjamin William James ESSEX, b. 1898, Adelaide, SA, d. 1965, Salisbury, SA, m. Daphne Alice GILBERT 1899-1985
- Benjamin Foxall DAVIES, b. 1859, Native Valley, SA, d. 1935, Murray Bridge, SA, m. Alice Maria ROGERS 1859-1929 and they had the following family....
- Alice Maria DAVIES, b. 1884, d. 1885, Nairne East, SA.
- Ada Ellen DAVIES, b. 1887, Paringa, near Callington, SA, d. 1977, Murray Bridge, SA., m. John Constantinus ROSS 1890-1936
- Joseph DAVIES, b. 1861, Native Valley, SA, d. 1946, Murray Bridge, SA, m. Marie Karoline Wilhelmine OTTO 1865-1939 and they had the following family....
- Joseph Charles DAVIES, b. 1891, Murray Bridge, SA, d. 1969, Murray Bridge, SA., m. Matilda Bertha KUTZER 1884-1959
- William Albert DAVIES, b. 1892, Murray Bridge, SA, d. 1918, Somme, France. William Albert DAVIES served and died in the 1st AIF on the Western Front...
- 14 Jul 1915, enlisted in the AIF, Adelaide, SA
- 11 Jan 1916, embarked "Borda", Port Adelaide, SA
- 9 Mar 1916, joined 48th Battalion, AIF, Tel-el-Kabir, Egypt
- 9 Jun 1916, 48th Battalion, AIF, arrived in France
- 3 Apr 1918, 48th Battalion, AIF, wounded in action, France
- 4 Apr 1918, 48th Battalion, AIF, died of wounds, nr Albert, France
- 4 Apr 1918, 48th Battalion, AIF, buried, Warloy-Baillon Cemetery, France
- John Hector DAVIES, b. 1896, Murray Bridge, SA, d. 1957, Adelaide, SA., m. Rose ELLIS 1889-1971
- Alma Elsie DAVIES, b. 1899, Murray Bridge, SA, d. ___, ___, SA., m. Ray Douglas WYATT 1902-1971
- Edwin Alfred DAVIES, b. 1903, Murray Bridge, SA, d. 1978, ___, SA., m. Florence May ADOLPH 1906-1988
- Frederick Norman DAVIES, b. 1905, Murray Bridge, SA, d. ___, ___, SA., m1. Edith Kathleen WHELAN 1908-?, m2. Violet Elizabeth Hill HARRISON 1905-1957, m3. Daisy BURLS __-__?
- Thomas James DAVIES, b. 1863, Native Valley, SA, d. 1933, Sandford, Vic, (single, worked for SA Railways, buried in Sandford Cemetery).
- William Henry DAVIES, b. 1865, Native Valley, SA, d. 1941, Ballarat, Vic, m. 1904, Adelaide, SA to Martha Amelia SEMMLER 1877-1952, born Barossa Valley, SA, daughter of Johann SEMMLER & Maria Louise MENZEL. William Henry & Martha Amelia DAVIES are both buried in the Sandford Cemetery. Martha SEMMLER had a daughter in Adelaide prior to her marriage to William DAVIES. The DAVIES family family settled at Gum Creek, Henty between Sandford & Merino in S-W Victoria in the early 1900s before later moving to the twonship of Sandford where their children attended the local school.
William Henry DAVIES & Martha Amelia SEMMLER had the following family...
- Amelia Martha "Millie" DAVIES, b. 1900, Adelaide, SA, d. 1973, Casterton, Vic, m. William John "Billy" McEWAN 1896-1969 a market gardener of Casterton, 3 chn - Mary, Lorna & Frank.
- William Henry DAVIES, b. 1904, Adelaide, SA, d. 1972, Mount Gambier, SA, m. Emily Eliza PUMPHREY 1909-1983, 2 chn - Marion & Aldyth.
- Mary Ann DAVIES, b. 1907, Casterton, Vic, d. 1994, Adelaide, SA, m. George Ernest McKENZIE 1904-1971, butcher of Casterton & Cardross, Vic, 3 chn - Cora, Ross & Faye.
- Agnes Dorothy Foxall DAVIES, b. 1910, Casterton, Vic, d. 1987, Ballarat, Vic, m. Robert Oliver McKENZIE 1909-1978, 5 chn - Jean, Brian, Kenneth, Ivan, Nancy.
- Amy Victoria DAVIES, b. 1912, Hamilton, Vic, d. 1990, Casterton, Vic, m. Alan Keith POVEY 1909-1984, 2 chn - Daryl & Bruce.
- Joseph John DAVIES, b. 1915, Sandford, Vic, d. 1940, Casterton, Victoria (as a result of an accident)