Hugh Alexander MORRISON ~1855-1924
Emma SANDY 1859-1938
Avoca, Vic. ; Stawell, Vic. ; Coleraine & Sandford, S-W Victoria ; Melbourne & Maryborough, Victoria, Australia.
Hugh Alexander MORRISON was b. ~ 1855, ........, Victoria, son of William MORRISON 1825-1888 & Grace McKENZIE ~1822-1874, who had married in Sydney, Colony of NSW in 1850. Three siblings were born at Avoca, Victoria from 1860-1863.
Emma SANDY was b. 1859, Pleasant Creek (Stawell), Victoria, daughter of William SANCY & Mary PAWLEY.
Hugh Alexander MORRISON & Emma SANDY were married at ....., Victoria in 1884 and there first two children were born at Coleraine, S-W Victoria where Hugh MORRISON was a Police Constable from ~1885 to ~1887.
KILLED IN A TENT. (By Telegraph From Our Correspondent.) COLERAINE, Monday.
At about 5 o'clock this evening a man named M'Phee, a boundary rider at Konongwootong, gave information to Constable Morrison that part of the ruins of the old Koroit homestead had been blown down, that portions of a tent were visible among the debris, and that as a little dog kept about the place he suspected that something was wrong. The constable proceeded to the spot, which is a little over a mile from Coleraine. He removed about half a ton of broken portions of a wattle-and-daub partition which covered the tent, and found the body of a man, who had evidently been dead for some hours. Senior-constable M'Gann and Mr. Molloy were soon on the scene of the accident, and Mr. Molloy identified the body as that of a labouring man named John Riley, well known throughout the district as "Californian Jack." The deceased, who had been employed stone-breaking at Coleraine, went out to the tent on Saturday evening, taking provisions with him. The partition in the old ruin under shelter of which the tent was pitched had evidently been blown down during the gale early this morning. The face of the deceased was much bruised and covered with blood, but death was probably due to suffocation. The body has been removed to the Criterion Hotel, Coleraine. The deceased was about 60 years of age.
"The Argus" (Melbourne, Vic.) Tuesday, 11th May 1886.
Hugh Alexander MORRISON, was a Constable of Police at Sandford, S-W Victoria from ~1887 to 1895 where another five children were born. While at Sandford his wife Emma MORRISON (nee SANDY), as well as having five children, made the time to sign the 1891 Women's Suffrage Petition.
A DETERMINED ATTEMPT is to be made to effectively put down the unsportsman like practice of netting in the Glenelg (writes the "Tribune" Casterton correspondent.) A petition is being numerously signed in the town and district with the intention of inducing the authorities to take immediate action of a stringent character. The course suggested is that Constable Harris, of Casterton, and Constable Morrison, of Sandford, should be appointed inspectors of the river, and it is believed that if this step is taken the officers will be able to give a good account of the delinquents.
"The Portland Guardian" (Vic.) Monday, 11th January 1892
Gazette Notices. Mr. C. W. Hill has been appointed registrar of births and deaths at Sandford, and deputy electoral registrar for the Casterton and Digby divisions vice H. A. Morrison resigned.
In 1895 it appears that Constable Hugh Alexander MORRISON and family moved to Melbourne where another two children were born, but by 1901 he appears to have been appointed as was a Senior Constable of Police in charge of the Koroit Police Station, S-W Victoria.
"The Portland Guardian" (Vic.) Monday, 3rd June 1895.
Hugh Alexander MORRISON, ex-Sgt. of Police, died at Maryborugh, Victoria in 1924 and his widow Emma also died at Maryborough, Victoria in 1938.
Hugh Alexander MORRISON & Emma SANDY had the following family...
- Susan Emma MORRISON b. 1885, Coleraine, S-W Victoria, d. 1964, Maryborough, Vic. [single.]
- Grace Mary MORRISON b. 1886, Coleraine, S-W Victoria, d. 1960, Koroit, S-W Victoria, m. in 1929 to Henry HULM 1884-1966, b. Kirkstall, S-W Victoria, d. Koroit, S-W Victoria.
- William Sandy MORRISON b. 1888, Sandford, S-W Victoria, d. 1958, Koroit, S-W Victoria, m. in 1911 to Florence May HULM 1889-1982, b. Warrong (near Kirkstall), S-W Victoria, d. Warrnambool, S-W Victoria.
- Hugh Henry MORRISON b. 1888, Sandford, S-W Victoria, d. 1955, Maryborough, Victoria, m. in 1937 to Kathleen McLEOD ~1889-1968, b. ........., d. Castlemaine, Victoria.
- Malcolm John MORRISON b. 1891, Sandford, S-W Victoria, d. 1955, Maryborough, Victoria, m. in 1921 to Muriel RICHARDS 1890-1965, b. Echuca, Victoria, d. Murr...., Victoria.
- Estelle Frances MORRISON b. 1893, Sandford, S-W Victoria, d. 1975, Maryborough, Vic. [single.]
- Hector McKENZIE MORRISON b. 1895, Sandford, S-W Victoria, d. 1985, Cast...., Victoria. [single ?]
- Harold MORRISON b. 1897, Melbourne, Victoria, d. 1962, Maryborough, Victoria. [single ?]
- Donald MORRISON b. 1899, Melbourne, Victoria, d. 1951, Maryborough, Victoria. [single ?]